Wednesday, April 14, 2021

NCAA TOURNAMENT: SEEDING THE TEAMS, PART 2

In part 1 of this series, I showed a history-based process for seeding teams into the NCAA Tournament bracket:  pods of 4 #1 seeds, 4 #2 seeds, 4 #3 seeds, and 4 #4 seeds; a pod of additional automatic qualifiers and at large selections to bring the total at large selections to 19; and the remaining automatic qualifiers.  Please refer to part 1 for how the process works.

Using on that process, based on games played through April 11, I come up with the following initial array of teams (not in order within their pods).  (To rank teams within their conferences, for the conferences that played in the Fall, I used the average of their conference regular season and conference tournament finishing positions; and for the conferences that did not play in the Fall, I used their current conference ranks based average points per game played, which means I have disregarded what has happened so far in their conference tournaments.  Once the season is done, I will re-rank them using the system I used for the Fall-playing conferences.  Bold face = actual or most likely automatic qualifier.)

#1 seeds:

ACC, Florida State

ACC, North Carolina

Pac 12, UCLA

SEC, Arkansas

#2 seeds:

ACC, Virginia

Big 10, Penn State

Big 12, TCU

Pac 12, Southern California

#3 seeds:

ACC, Duke

SEC, Texas A&M

SEC, South Carolina

West Coast, Santa Clara

#4 seeds:

ACC, Clemson

Big 10: Ohio State

Big 12: West Virginia

Pac 12: Washington

Pod of most likely at large selections (from the non-automatic qualifiers, three will have to be removed to get the total number of at large selections down to 19):

ACC, Louisville

ACC, Notre Dame

American, South Florida

American, Memphis

Big East, Georgetown 

Big 10, Illinois

Big 10, Indiana

Big 12, Oklahoma State

Big 12, Kansas

Pac 12, Arizona State

Pac 12, Stanford

SEC, Vanderbilt

SEC, Tennessee

West Coast, BYU

Pod of longer shots to displace other potential at large selections:

ACC, Virginia Tech

ACC, Wake Forest

American, SMU

Big East, Butler

Big East, Connecticut

Big 10, Wisconsin

Big 10, Minnesota

Big 10, Rutgers

Big 10, Michigan

Big 12, Baylor

Big 12, Texas

Pac 12, Colorado

Pac 12, Washington State

SEC, Missouri

SEC, Auburn

SEC, Mississippi

West Coast, Pepperdine

Atlantic 10, St. Louis  (included on basis of win over Arkansas)

Conference USA, Rice (included on basis of win over Texas A&M)

The above is my history-based initial array of teams.  Starting there, I need to remove three of the non-automatic qualifiers from the most likely at large selection group and, after that, I need to review the longer shot group to see if I should pick some of them to replace teams remaining in the most likely at large selection group.  To do this, I use the following table.  This table, and the next one, likely will not be readable as you first see it.  To see it clearly, simply click on the table.  That should bring up a readable version.  Then, to return to this article, simply on the black area to either side of the table.

In this table, for each team on the list, I show its numbers of wins, ties, and losses against the initial #1, #2, #3, and #4 seeds, against the most likely at large selection teams (group 5), against the longer shot at large selection teams (group 6), and against other teams it played (group 7).  Then, on the table, I have highlighted in green good results and in orange poor results, in relation to the position the team is competing for.

Using the table as highlighted, I then decided which three teams to remove from the likely at large selection group in order to bring the number of at large selections to 19.  I removed Louisville, Indiana, and Illinois.

Next, I compared teams on the longer shot list to the remaining teams on the likely at large selection list and made two more changes:  I removed Memphis and Kansas from the likely list and added Rutgers and Colorado from the longer shot list.

I then re-created the above table, but with the changes I just made:

I reviewed this table to see if I should make further changes.  Although Notre Dame is a close call to retain as an at large selection, I decided to leave it with a selection.  However, if St. Louis turns out not to be an automatic qualifier, I probably would give it an at large selection and would remove Notre Dame from that group.  I also would consider Rice, although its chances would be smaller.

Once the selections are set, I could use the above table to place in exact order some or possibly even all of the 16 #1 to #4 seeded teams and the additional 11 teams.  Some of the ordering of teams would be clear and some of it would be speculative.  Since the season is not yet over, I am not going to try to do that this week.  I may try to do it once the coming weekend’s final results are in.

For the remaining automatic qualifiers that are not covered by the above tables but that will be in the Tournament, I have shown in Part 1 how I would order them for seeding purposes.

Observation.  The point of this is not to show what the Tournament at large selections and seeding should be.  Rather, it is to show a workable system for making the at large selections and doing the seeding.  The system is based on historic and current-year data, allowing for the exercise of some discretion but with pretty clearly defined boundaries.  I believe, the system would produce a relatively credible and defensible bracket given the unique circumstances of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment